The Presbyterians of Athens, Georgia were organized into a congregation on Christmas Day, 1820 under the leadership of Dr. Moses Waddel. At the time, this area was in Hopewell Presbytery, Synod of South Carolina. The original church building was erected in 1828 and was located at the main entrance to the University campus on Broad Street. For more information about Moses Waddel and the founding of our community, please click here.
Erected in 1855-56, the present building was remodeled in 1906. An educational wing was added in 1965. Several treasured pews (deacons benches) from the original building are still in use in various rooms and offices. The pews in the present sanctuary are made from lumber taken from the John White plantation and vary in length to accommodate the families of the original occupants. The Tinsley-Stern Building was acquired in 1992.
Construction began on our new Building Project in February of 2009. Contracted by R. W. Allen, this $10.4 million project has not only added dramatically to our church’s facilities but has also renovated existing portions of our building. For more information about this Building Project, click here.
The new addition and renovation was officially opened during Celebration Weekend, September 10-12, 2010. To see the page which was dedicated to this event, click here. For photos of this event, please visit our Facebook photo albums.